For a truly Merry Christmas you can go past this recipe. Recreate this timeless Christmas classic. This has the perfect balance of moist, rich, and fruity. Topped with a decadent caramel sauce, that has a spiced caramel rum flavour with hints of orange and maple.
INGREDIENTSLyre’s Dark and White Cane Spirit Christmas Fruit Cake with Caramel Sauce
Prepare this recipe at least 1 week in advance.
FRUIT SOAK(to be prepared at least 1 week prior to cooking)
INGREDIENTS190mL Lyres Dark Cane Spirit
110mL Lyres White Cane Spirit
60g brown sugar
Zest and juice of 1 large orange
160g dried cranberry
90g sliced prune
70g slice dates
140g sliced dried figs ( stem removed )
pinch sea salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- In a medium saucepan combine the Lyres Dark and White Cane Spirits, brown sugar, water and orange zest and juice and heat over moderate heat until sugar is dissolved and combined. Add the rest of the ingredients to the syrup and stir well. Using a spoon press and compact all of the fruit and spices into the warmed liquid and cook on low heat for a further 5 min. Pour fruit mix into a container and refrigerate for 7 -10 days to allow fruits to soak and hydrate. Stir every few days to ensure fruit is soaking evenly.
INGREDIENTS120g flour + extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
20g ground almonds
100g soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoon marmalade
120g salted butter
3 whole eggs
- When you are ready to make the cake preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a Bundt tin generously with butter and dust lightly with flour tipping out any excess so as to thinly coat the tin.
- Sift the flour, nutmeg and almond meal together in a bowl and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment , cream the butter, molasses, honey, brown sugar, and marmalade on moderate speed until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, slowly until incorporated alternating with the flour mix until all combined. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the soaked fruit with a spatula. Pour cake mix into prepared Bundt tin and bake for 20 min at 180 degrees before turning temperature down to 160 degrees fora further 20 min. Check cake with a skewer to see if it comes out clean. It may need up to 1 hr to cook. Cool cake before topping with caramel. best served at room temperature.
DARK CANE SPIRIT CARAMEL SAUCE
- 210mL pouring cream
- 100mL Lyres Dark Cane Spirit
- 175g golden syrup
- 140g soft brown sugar
- 110g salted butter
- Weigh all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. boil gently for 10 -15 min continuously stirring until mixture thickens. allow to cool before pouring over the cake.