Flavoursome and comforting, this warm mocktail is perfect for a winter gathering or a taste of Christmas. A complementary blend of classic spices and a hint of chilli. Full of aromatic character, this decadent mocktail is a satisfying and memorable drink. Garnish with an orange twist and enjoy.
INGREDIENTS1 bottle Non-Alcoholic Red Wine
5ml fresh ginger juice or fresh crushed/grated ginger
1 whole dried chipotle, ancho or mulato chilli
1 cinnamon quill
2 whole star anise
7 whole dried allspice berries
30-60g (to taste) light brown sugar
A large orange twist
- Make an incision in the chilli so that its smoky heat can mingle with the liquid.
- Add all ingredients, including the chilli to a heavy bottom pot.
- Gently bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Keep at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Ladle into heat proof glasses.
- Garnish with another orange twist.
- The chilli can be removed early to reduce the intensity of its heat.