Skip to content
Operating as usual, no disruption to online orders across Australia & NZ
Operating as usual/no online disruption AU

non-alcoholic drinks blog

BLOG

My guide to alcohol-free Prosecco

Prosecco, Italian sparkling wine, has gained on Champagne as the world’s most popular sparkling. And when it comes to alc-free Prosecco, we’re spoilt for choice.

In the same way that true Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France, true Prosecco should be produced exclusively in select parts of northeastern Italy.

Likewise, while the name Prosecco was originally given to both a type of a grape and a place, when the sparkling wine became more popular, the prosecco grape was re-named ‘Glera’. Wine regulations state that Glera must make up 85 per cent of a wine for it to be labelled Prosecco. The other 15 per cent can come from Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera, Glera Lunga, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir grapes. 

Prosecco has become so popular in the last few years that it's now almost a lifestyle choice – there’s a Prosecco festival, Prosecco advent calendars, Prosecco bath salts, Prosecco socks, and, thankfully, there is an array of non-alc Prosecco too! 

Here is my guide to non-alc Prosecco and Prosecco alternatives. 

I'll be over in a 'secco!

Plus & Minus Prosecco

[product name="plus-minus-prosecco"]

The blurb: Aussie winemakers, Plus and Minus, use a combination of traditional winemaking techniques and gentle alcohol removal to craft their wines

The taste: Created from grapes grown in South Australian vineyards, this Prosecco has aromas of citrus and freshly cut apple, fruit flavours and a cleansing acidity on the finish. 

Worth noting: With added grape seed extract, this wine has more antioxidants than traditional wine. 

La Gioiosa

[product name="la-gioiosa-zero-alcohol-sparkling"]

The blurb: La Gioiosa are one of Italy's leading Prosecco and sparkling wine producers. 

The taste: This delicious and sophisticated sparkling wine has been made with Italian Glera grapes. The result is a  pale straw-coloured wine, that has fresh and fruity flavours with aromatic notes of apple, peach, and elderflower.

Worth noting: This wine is also vegan and only 22 calories per 100ml. 

Thomson and Scott Noughty

[product name="thomson-scott-noughty"]

The blurb: From the world-famous Thomson & Scott, this highly acclaimed sparkling Chardonnay has attracted global media attention, including from the New York Times. 

The taste: A consistent bestseller at Sans Drinks, this wine is pale in colour with an extra dry, crisp taste. 

Worth noting: Certified Organic, Certified Vegan, Certified Halal and low in calories. 

Lyre's Classico

[product name="lyres-classico-ready-to-drink-can"]

The blurb: The most awarded non-alcoholic spirits company in the world, Lyre’s have become experts in mimicking the taste and mouthfeel of classic alcoholic drinks. 

The taste: This classic take on a traditional Italian sparkling Prosecco is crisp, dry and sparkling. 

Worth noting: Just 18 calories per 100ml

Wild Life Botanicals Nude

[product name="wild-life-botanicals-sparkling-nude"]

The blurb: Founded in Cornwall, in the UK, Wild Life Botanicals are passionate about crafting wine that is sophisticated and healthy.

The taste: With delicate, champagne-like bubbles, this deliciously fruity wine showcases the freshness and zing of lime and mango. With aromas of gooseberry, greengage and young banana the finish is both dry and refreshing.

Worth noting: This premium sparkling wine combines the calming properties of lemon balm, the soothing properties of damask rose, antioxidant rich rosemary and stimulating damiana. It's also Vegan friendly and low in sugar. 

Odd Bird Spumante Veneto Prosecco

[product name="odd-bird-spumante-veneto-prosecco-non-alcoholic"]

The blurb: Odd Bird are modern winemakers producing extraordinary wines with exceptional taste, all entirely free from alcohol. 

The taste: Expect a lively mouthfeel and a complex flavour profile featuring white pear, crisp green apple, honey melon, grapefruit and gooseberry. The finish is crips and balanced. 

Worth noting: No additives and only 22 calories per 100ml. 

Fizzero Sparkling White

[product name="fizzero-sparkling-white"]

The blurb: With the experience of the De Bortoli family behind them, Fizzero craft wine alternatives that have been produced without alcohol. 

The taste: Full of complexity, flavour and body, Fizzero tastes just like a dry sparkling white wine. 

Worth noting: Made with green tea 

Barton & Guestier

[product name="barton-guestier"] 

The blurb: An award winning sparkling wine from one of France’s oldest wine houses.

The taste: A pale golden colour with fine, long-lasting bubbles, the nose is intense and aromatic, combining delicate floral and fruity flavours. Overall it’s an easy-drinking, well-balanced sparkling wine with a long and refreshing finish.

Worth noting: Vegan friendly 

In the same way that true Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France, true Prosecco should be produced exclusively in select parts of northeastern Italy.

Likewise, while the name Prosecco was originally given to both a type of a grape and a place, when the sparkling wine became more popular, the prosecco grape was re-named ‘Glera’. Wine regulations state that Glera must make up 85 per cent of a wine for it to be labelled Prosecco. The other 15 per cent can come from Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera, Glera Lunga, Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir grapes. 

Prosecco has become so popular in the last few years that it's now almost a lifestyle choice – there’s a Prosecco festival, Prosecco advent calendars, Prosecco bath salts, Prosecco socks, and, thankfully, there is an array of non-alc Prosecco too! 

Here is my guide to non-alc Prosecco and Prosecco alternatives. 

I'll be over in a 'secco!

Plus & Minus Prosecco

The blurb: Aussie winemakers, Plus and Minus, use a combination of traditional winemaking techniques and gentle alcohol removal to craft their wines

The taste: Created from grapes grown in South Australian vineyards, this Prosecco has aromas of citrus and freshly cut apple, fruit flavours and a cleansing acidity on the finish. 

Worth noting: With added grape seed extract, this wine has more antioxidants than traditional wine. 

La Gioiosa

The blurb: La Gioiosa are one of Italy's leading Prosecco and sparkling wine producers. 

The taste: This delicious and sophisticated sparkling wine has been made with Italian Glera grapes. The result is a  pale straw-coloured wine, that has fresh and fruity flavours with aromatic notes of apple, peach, and elderflower.

Worth noting: This wine is also vegan and only 22 calories per 100ml. 

Thomson and Scott Noughty

The blurb: From the world-famous Thomson & Scott, this highly acclaimed sparkling Chardonnay has attracted global media attention, including from the New York Times. 

The taste: A consistent bestseller at Sans Drinks, this wine is pale in colour with an extra dry, crisp taste. 

Worth noting: Certified Organic, Certified Vegan, Certified Halal and low in calories. 

Lyre's Classico

The blurb: The most awarded non-alcoholic spirits company in the world, Lyre’s have become experts in mimicking the taste and mouthfeel of classic alcoholic drinks. 

The taste: This classic take on a traditional Italian sparkling Prosecco is crisp, dry and sparkling. 

Worth noting: Just 18 calories per 100ml

Wild Life Botanicals Nude

The blurb: Founded in Cornwall, in the UK, Wild Life Botanicals are passionate about crafting wine that is sophisticated and healthy.

The taste: With delicate, champagne-like bubbles, this deliciously fruity wine showcases the freshness and zing of lime and mango. With aromas of gooseberry, greengage and young banana the finish is both dry and refreshing.

Worth noting: This premium sparkling wine combines the calming properties of lemon balm, the soothing properties of damask rose, antioxidant rich rosemary and stimulating damiana. It's also Vegan friendly and low in sugar. 

Odd Bird Spumante Veneto Prosecco

The blurb: Odd Bird are modern winemakers producing extraordinary wines with exceptional taste, all entirely free from alcohol. 

The taste: Expect a lively mouthfeel and a complex flavour profile featuring white pear, crisp green apple, honey melon, grapefruit and gooseberry. The finish is crips and balanced. 

Worth noting: No additives and only 22 calories per 100ml. 

Fizzero Sparkling White

The blurb: With the experience of the De Bortoli family behind them, Fizzero craft wine alternatives that have been produced without alcohol. 

The taste: Full of complexity, flavour and body, Fizzero tastes just like a dry sparkling white wine. 

Worth noting: Made with green tea 

Barton & Guestier

 

The blurb: An award winning sparkling wine from one of France’s oldest wine houses.

The taste: A pale golden colour with fine, long-lasting bubbles, the nose is intense and aromatic, combining delicate floral and fruity flavours. Overall it’s an easy-drinking, well-balanced sparkling wine with a long and refreshing finish.

Worth noting: Vegan friendly 

Leave a comment